Could you give us a brief description of your start-up and explain the reasons that led you to establish it up?
M2TEST is an all-female innovative start-up that works as SAAS, born with the aim of improving the quality of life through the assessment of the risk of fragile fracture. This is done thanks to BES TEST, a test for assessing the quality of the bone structure useful in the diagnosis, monitoring and prevention of alterations in the bone structure.
M2TEST was founded by two women, mother and daughter, Francesca Cosmi and Alessandra Nicolosi, following the victory of the Innovation Factory Challenge, the certified incubator of AREA Science Park in 2016, which is now a partner of the project.
The BES TEST was developed over a period of 15 years as part of the research activity carried out at the University of Trieste by Francesca Cosmi, Professor of Machine Construction and Mechanical Design. When the Innovation Factory call came out, Alessandra was graduating in Pharmacy and Francesca asked her to present the BES TEST project with her. After 6 months of acceleration program, Francesca and Alessandra were among the winners of the call and this allowed to establish M2TEST. Paying particular attention to specialization and innovation, M2TEST aims to improve life by providing a unique, fast and non-invasive solution that allows users to monitor the real risk of bone fracture and to meet the growing demand for a new test which would be complementary to the existing ones.
How does your fracture risk monitoring system work?
The BES TEST is a test based on the simulation of the application of forces on the virtual biopsy of the patient’s bone architecture, obtained from radiographic images. This innovative approach completely differs from densitometry (MOC, current gold standard).
BES TEST is revolutionary because:
- the elasticity of the trabecular structure is determined (bone quality);
- it improves the identification of the risk for fragile fracture and, in addition, it is able to discriminate healthy subjects from those at risk. Moreover our tool can identify also osteopenic people with previous osteoporotic fractures (50% of fractures), which are not diagnosed with the routine examination (MOC);
- by integrating MOC and BES TEST the diagnosis is more accurate, and allows to have a complete picture of the situation;
- it can be used in PREVENTION because in addition to identifying the early alterations, it can be performed in total safety even at a young age;
- it is REPEATABLE, in fact the analisys and therefore the bone changes can be evaluated even after 4-6 months and this allows doctors to CUSTOMIZE the treatment by monitoring the effectiveness also at close intervals if needed;
- the patient’s COMPLIANCE is increased, allowing him/her to feel more assisted and therefore is more likely to carry on with the therapy;
- the analysis is quick and convenient, the BES TEST is a medical device and has the CE mark. Therefore it is proposed as a complement to the tools in use for better patient management, at extremely low costs.